Friday, August 16, 2013

Endings lead to other beginnings.

As of right now, there are only two posts on my blog: this one, and the one I wrote when I first arrived in China. A lot has passed since then, and not just one year's time.

I'm glad that I wrote those things when I first got there, and now that I'm back in Canada I can really see the difference in myself over that year. There was something missing in my life before and I couldn't figure out what it was (to understand what I am referring to, I suggest you read that post first). It drove me crazy and made me want to jump out of my skin just to have the smallest sliver of knowledge about what that missing piece might have been. But I found it in China, and it changed my life; it changed who I am as a person, how I see things, and the way I observe and understand the people around me. Was it an array of events that somehow filled what was missing inside, or was it one moment? Was it being in a foreign city, or did I find it in the not-so-familiar parts of my mind? Was it because of a group of people, or one close friend? I can't tell you what it was that changed me because it's still not perfectly clear to me either. It's there and I found it, and one day it will resurface when I need it.

I also can't tell you what this missing piece exactly was. (I'm not giving a whole lot of information, I realize). Maybe that was my problem before. I was trying to believe that the missing piece was exactly something that I needed to find when in reality I had to find myself first. After I found myself - and living independently in China is what I have to thank for triggering that - the rest came on it's own.

It's all a bit "cliché", I know. But it's true. And the directionless force that seemed to nearly pull me back to China was almost a sign of fate, don't you think? Isn't it fate that makes a person experience a certain event, or come to terms with their hearts, or brings strangers together to meet? No matter what you believe in, things in life are meant to happen and they will happen as long as you keep an open mind and follow your heart.

I think I've written enough fluff for this post now.

No comments:

Post a Comment