Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The world's first "Vertical Forest".

Whilst aimlessly scrolling through a social media website it isn't often that I stumble upon something that really catches my attention. When I read an interesting tidbit of an article about a vertical forest, it intrigued me so much so that it has been on my mind quite often. I couldn't keep it to myself, so I present to you Bosco Verticale: the world's first vertical forest expected to be completed by this year!




The Bosco Verticale is being built in Milan, Italy by architect Stefano Boeri with the hopes of making a change in the ever-increasing pollution in the environment, and at the same time providing an innovative alternative to insulating the 400-something residential units between the two towers. There are a couple interesting articles about the Bosco Verticale here, here, and here, but if you don't want to read them you can look at a few key points I've highlighted below:
  • The first example of a Bosco Verticale composed of two residential towers of 110 and 76 meters height [*]   
  • The facade of the buildings will be covered with 730 trees, 5,000 shrubs, and 11,000 perennial plants. [*]
  •  It is expected to have the same ecological impact as 10,000 square meters of forest. [*]
  •  The diversity of the plants and their characteristics produce humidity, absorb CO2 and dust particles, producing oxygen and protect the building from radiation and acoustic pollution. [*]
  •  Each apartment in the building will have a balcony planted with trees [*]
There is also a video about the location which I will share. (The good stuff comes at about a minute into the video, just to let you know.)

Fascinating, isn't it? It makes me excited to see how amazing the world is going to be in a decade's time! It already has become a greater place to live in in some ways. There's always room for improvement though.

No comments:

Post a Comment